"So much time and so little to do - strike that, reverse it."
So said Willy Wonker in his chocolate factory. Nowhere is this phrase more true for me than in New York. The wide choice of things to do leads to more procrastination. What to do first? When to do this or that? How to fit this in if I'm doing that, etc.... All questions that serve to reduce action and bombard brain cells with clutter. That is how I have been feeling over the past few years. Lots of talk, little action and time spent on reacting to everyday events without proactive results.
I have several book projects in my head- my family's story from Britain, Armenia, Burma and back to Britain, my travel stories of Burma and Brazil, biographies of so many other interesting and amazing people I have met. All stories to immortalize and set in black and white type on my Mac.
Today, I have decided to focus! Camera, lights, Action! Here are my plans v what I eventually accomplish:
Day 1 - May 25th
I have decided to go active on Twitter to keep abreast of social networks, news feeds, friends, businesses and professionals I admire. I do agree with Mr George Packer, one of my favourite journalists, that Twitter is
"crack for media addicts".But there are much worse addictions out there, Mr Packer, in this day and age, and, some of us need all the help we can get.
NY Times, Mr Carr says that:
“Twitter becomes an always-on data stream from really bright people.” And: “The real value of the service is listening to a wired collective voice … the throbbing networked intelligence.” And: “On Twitter, you are your avatar and your avatar is you.” And finally: “There is always something more interesting on Twitter than whatever you happen to be working on.”
So please, Mr George Packer tweet to me!
I made a call to Verizon last Friday for technical assistance on my phone line in Manhattan. A nice girl from the Philippines, Sam, told me that a technician would come today anytime from 8am to 7pm. So forgive me if my day off today is not filled with trips to The Metropolitan's Picasso or the "American Woman -Fashioning a National Identity" exhibitions (the original to-do list). I have an all-day appointment with the cable man - oh joy!

No comments:
Post a Comment